On Thursday November 27, about 1,000 volunteers gathered on the 200 block of Jones street to be briefed and educated for the Thanksgiving Outreach. Before breaking out into smaller groups, volunteers were offered a chance to sponsor a child and support a student at SF City Academy.
Vice Principal, Vanessa Brakey shared about her first time she decided to step in for the children of the Tenderloin:
"I heard the statistics, just like you"
- Over 3,000 children in the Tenderloin district, majority of them living at or below the poverty line.
- There are over 70 liquor stores and adult entertainment businesses and only 3 schools.
I saw the stress just like you will today:
- Drug dealers, addicts, alcoholics, a sex club right next to the school. No role models, no hope.
- I stood there just like you are looking at me, unsure of what I could do to truly help.
Executive Director Christian Huang shared how SF City Impact is helping reach children and families every day.
"It is a slow burn, we have been here the last 30 years, and we plan to be here the next 30 years," said Christian.
133 Volunteers took action and gave towards sponsorship to help support students at SF City Academy.
After each team broke into their groups and worksites, Tenderloin residents began to pour into the center of the 200 Jones street block. A service was provided with a message and live music. Soon after, food was passed out and community residents began to receive clothing and medical care. City Impact engagements and events dispersed all over the Tenderloin, from building parties, to meal deliveries and sit down dinners. Here are some details from the day:
- 4,700 meals delivered
- 1,000 volunteers
- 200 guests between two sit-down dinners
- 150 people given clothing & groceries
- 150 people given medical assessment or care by SF City Impact Health & Wellness team
- 133 people served Thanksgiving meals between five building parties
- 131 SFCA student sponsors providing education to children in the inner city of San Francisco
Thank you to each and every volunteer, supporter and advocate who contributed to make this day happen. Looking for the next steps? Anyone interested in getting more involved can complete the volunteer signup form to get plugged in. Learn more.
The next outreach will be on Saturday, December 13th from 8 PM - 2 PM. Help provide a Christmas gift towards the Pre-Christmas Outreach. Every $9.99 will help provide a Christmas gift to a child in need this season.